Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Canadian Geese

Canadian Geese are so beautiful in the air. It's amazing how they fly in "V" formation. How do they learn to do that? But more importantly, how can such beautiful creatures be such a nuisance to so many people. There are many lakes around town that are inundated with these animals. As fun as it is to take little kids to feed the ducks, you can't because of these mean geese. They will swarm you and peck you for the food.


And then you know what happens after the eat, they have to poo. Well do they ever. They leave a mess behind that is unbelievable. Apparently it's not just here that has a problem, there was a story on NBC news last night about them. Here's the link to the video.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh dear-- I have a story on this one. When I taught in Chicago the school had a big big yard with fields, playgrounds, etc. Geese would land there to eat and poop, making messes on our floors when the kids ran in with poopy shoes. We tried everything to get the geese to go away. Finally they found a sound system that would blast the recorded sound of a goose in distress which was supposed to be a warning to other geese, causing them to leave. They installed speakers on the roof, one directly over my classroom, and it went off every 10 minutes. For days. Until we complained that we were hearing goose sounds in our sleep, and then they turned off the speakers during class hours. But left them on before and after school. No idea if it really worked, but if you need a sound of geese in distress, I could probably mimic it for ya.

Anonymous said...

I have a funny one. John and I were riding bikes this week and came across 2 geese
walking with gooselings(sp?). We were both saying awww look at the little
ones. Then, I heard this noise..kind of like a hissing noise. I then
notice that one goose had came toward us with his mouth wide open hissing.
I thought John saw it and was trying to keep him away from me as I rode
faster. Then I said John watch out. I hear him say oh crap he is coming
after us. The goose then started to walk/jog toward John's bike with his
mouth open hissing. I guess John was still watching the little ones and
didn't see the goose coming after him. I was picturing him getting
flogged(sp?) and was thinking get out of the way!! We both survived and
escaped, but it had to be funny to watch.

Hope you enjoyed my story.

Bridget